The cathedral bell tower. Separate from Saint-André Cathedral, this 15th-century bell tower was built to provide the cathedral with a large bell without threatening the structure.
Three bells and a bourdon of Notre-Dame. Still in operation today, Marie, Clémence and Marguerite ring alongside the bourdon or tenor bell Ferdinand-André, installed in 1869 and weighing in at over eight tonnes. At 66 metres tall, Notre-Dame d’Aquitaine looks out over the city of Bordeaux.
The origin of the name. The building is named after Archbishop Pey-Berland (circa 1370-1458) who commissioned the tower, and who was a driving force behind the renewal of the Church in Aquitaine, under control of the Plantagenets at the time.
To ensure the safety of our visitors, the monument is strictly applying the security measures decided by the french authorities.
The monument is fully opened.